Tuesday, July 01, 2008

We went with the rest of the staff to Oceanside beach on Saturday.
I lathered the children up to protect them from the harsh California sun- on Jacky, I try to reach through that maze of mane and put it on his scalp. Poor white baby. I was successful, and the only burnt ones were my husband, who I forgot to lather up, not being a child, and the small of my back that was apparently uncovered. Not bad. As a child I used to go with nothing on at all, and if I burned, which was rare, it would become a lovely tan just the next day.
As I've gotten older, my skin does not heal the same way...ah, age. With it comes the patience to apply sunscreen. Jack's favorite things? Balls- including balloons- I made a nice big sandcastle the perfect distance from the water, meaning, just far enough away to be dry and built up, but close enough to be in near constant danger of being washed away. I never build for beauty.
I build for the battle.
The staff kids all helped, and we beat the ocean off for a time, but lost in the end, predictably. I would have taken pictures, because it was great fun- the staff all working on the protecting wall, Jack playing in the lagoon, Lucy and Bowden running through like wild turkeys- Jack was not afraid when the surf came up over the wall and flooded the lagoon up to his chest. We were always close enough to pull him to our laps so that he wouldn't be toppled, but he would just raise his hands and bring them down, splash! in the foam.

Bowden met some boys to play with from Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Church. The big boys dug a hole, put the umbrella in it, and proceeded to keep the little boys out. You may think that it's strange that Bowden has on jean shorts, but it was one of those times when I rush out the door and say, "I know I forgot something!"

This time it was Bowden's bathing suit.

Lucy did what she's done on every staff beach trip since she could walk away from me. She stretched out with the big girls on their towel and talked and talked. Our staff kids are very nice and seem to enjoy her.

She also filled up the bucket with sand and got into it, as if she needed a smaller space to enjoy all that sand. Jack would have if he could have.

Rachel enjoyed the beach and actually touched the water- she was quite the sandcastle warrior.
Nathanael and the boys, off to the side. I don't really know if Nathanael really even got wet.
I love the beach. Our staff this year seems very cohesive and friendly- I think this summer is going to be as good as the summer of 1996! We Tates left early to get home in time for bath and bed, and the staff played volleyball while the sun went down.

2 comments:

Mom 8X said...

Thanks for the pictures of Rachel and Nathanael, Sarah. It's good to see them having fun, even though they both told me want bad sun burns they got. Next time they'll use the sunscreen.

Abigail said...

I don't want to listen to you talk (or to read to you type) about your skin not handling sun as well as it used to.

I had lofty daydreams as a child that I, too, could have berry-brown skin, that the other children wouldn't laugh when I blinded them with pasty skin, that....

You get the picture.

(I like the rest of the post, but the first part demanded a comment.)

Lucy’s graduation

Lucy graduated this last June. She was Valedictorian of her class of 25 students, and came away with a lot of honors.  She participated in e...