Friday, February 22, 2008

I had the most traumatic lorikeet feeding at the wild Animal Park yesterday. This guy nipped Lucy's fat little worm fingers twice until she gave up and began to yell at all of the birds about the wrongs done to her.
She thought it was funny, too.
Bowden was very good about it, but the birds did not want to land on him, deciding I was the better perch.
Lucy enjoying herself before the second nip.
Bowden fed the one that liked my shoulder.
I tried to tell Lucy not to yell at the birds- they were a bit touchy.


After the feeding, Kaitlin and Joel and Bowden hugged.
Kaitlin strangled Joel.
Joel got mad. Bowden was oblivious.

Lucy continued to yell at the birds.
The traumatic part was not Lucy's nips, but the hitchhiker that would not get off of me after the nectar was gone. He or she decided that I was good for a ride, and an attempt to "shoo" the thing got me a bite on the hand.
Then it started to eat my earrings. I couldn't move it away, and I couldn't grab it, and I had the feeling that it was going to start in on my eyes next.
People around said, "It's got your earring!!" as if the earring was not still attached to my ear. Eventually I bent myself in half and shook and it squawked and flew down- glaring at me with an angry passion I hope never to see in any creature's eyes again.
I may have lost my love for the Lorikeet Landing.

4 comments:

MomZup said...

Forgive me Sarah, but I am laughing so hard. I can just imagine the rising panic as you realized this little 10 ounce feathered creature was going to pluck you bald!

Griffen said...

Does Lucy always dress so fancy for the Lorikeets?

Sorry for the trauma. Birds are not my fav. Reid's mom once got pecked in the head by an ostrich and had to wear a neck brace for weeks!

heidiann(e) said...

lucy is SO pretty.

Abigail said...

I laughed at the lorikeet. I had to; it was a funny story, though I felt your pain.

Lucy is beautiful. She always is, and seems even more so in that rich, cranberry dress.

Lucy’s graduation

Lucy graduated this last June. She was Valedictorian of her class of 25 students, and came away with a lot of honors.  She participated in e...